Nov 23, 2013

Happy 50th, Doctor Who!

You don't look a day over 800.

If you've got even a little toe in the pop culture consciousness, you've probably head today marks the 50th anniversary of the airing of the very first Doctor Who episode.

Image courtesy Ghergich & Co.
Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor, was my first Doctor back in the late 70s when I stumbled on to the show on PBS. PBS, the BBC America of a generation! I remember when my geek buddy and I would play outside after school (this was a thing before there were video games) there was this one tree that was the center console of our TARDIS. I would be the Doctor, complete with tire pressure gauge subbing for my sonic screwdriver, and he was a different doctor: Dr. David Bruce Banner! How's that for a time traveling team?

TARDIS cake by Pink Cake Box

For some reason, I didn't get the concept of regeneration or something because I never watched any Doctor Who unless it was the 4th Doctor. When I checked out books from the library, I'd always imagine the Doctor in the story was the Tom Baker incarnation. 

I started watching again with the first outing of the 8th Doctor in 1996 on FOX of all places. It wasn't what I was expecting and I just kind of forgot about it again until the new series started up in 2005. After getting past the cheesiness of the first episode (sentient killer mannequins?) it grabbed my attention and hasn't let go since.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out today's Google Doodle and see if you can beat my time. I'm not going to lie, it shouldn't be too hard!


And if you're looking for a gift for the Whovian in your life, Entertainment Earth is having a
buy one item, get one 40% off sale until 11/26.

Entertainment Earth

3 comments:

  1. It's a pretty good show, though the last few seasons I saw have fallen afoul of spectacle creep. I almost feel that they squandered Matt Smith with too many dark and portentous episodes. He's a great comedic doctor and it would have been nice to see lighter hearted, quirkier fare for him. Oh well, having an old doctor might be the tonic the series needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he had some good comedic moments in his run. Clara hasn't really worked for me as a companion though. I adore Jenna but Clara just doesn't feel like she fits in.

      I am looking forward to an older Doctor to see what changes that will bring though!

      Delete