Oct 23, 2014

Halloween Web - Miss M

Fellow blogger and toy enthusiast Miss M joins the Halloween rogue's gallery.

MissM Halloween 5
"I was a steam punk saloon girl and was able to take a picture with a fun Macho Man."

Thanks for coming, Miss M. Please introduce yourself to the readers.

Thank you for asking me to be a part of this. I'm Miss M. My real name is Michael Lynn, but I go by Miss M. Some of your readers might already know me, but for those that don't, I write a lot of dorky material on a blog called Diary of a Dorkette. I also write for a website called Nerd Society and was an official writer for the fabulous Retro-Daze. I am also a co-host on the always fun Geek Fallout podcast. And in the spirit of the season, I did a brief voice over snippet for the upcoming Halloween Special over at The Sexy Armpit. I enjoy being able to share in fun dorky conversation and story, so I am beyond thrilled to be a part of this questionnaire.

 Do you have a particularly memorable Halloween story? 

Let's see, I have quite a few I am almost certain, but one Halloween that I always enjoy recalling involves the Halloween during my sophomore year in high school. My plan was simple, I was able to dress up for school during the day and I wanted to have a get together at my house that night. There was a local mom and pop video store down the street from my house and I had gotten my mom to agree to having some friends over. During the school day we were all able to dress up. (This was awesome because it was high school. I don't know if they allow that anymore these days.) So I had made a makeshift Tatum costume from the movie Scream. She was my favorite character and Scream had come out the year before, so it only made sense that I'd be dressed as Rose McGowan's Tatum. After the epic Halloween day, night time soon came upon us and I had my friends come over that night. We rented a bunch of horror movies at the video store, some slasher and zombie flicks were the order of the night and we just had a great time. We had food and snacks. One of my friends was this goth girl (everyday was Halloween for her, she was just the best) and she was hiding in the bushes in my front yard scaring the neighborhood trick or treaters. Everyone was wanting to stop by the house for some candy and scares. It was just a really nice Halloween.

MissM Halloween 2
"My brother and his custom made Edward Scissorhands and me just goofing around."
Any favorite costumes from Halloweens past? 

I do have some favorite Halloween costumes. Growing up my mom would make my costumes. Most of what we'd do would be stuff that was creatively put together. One was a makeshift Supergirl costume. I had red tights, red shorts, and blue shirt with cape and some pink Converse sneakers. If you were to squint, you could maybe see Supergirl, but in my heart I felt like I was her. I also loved my Tatum costume in high school. I was so proud of that costume. For the most part I never really had many elaborate costumes; I've never been good at coming up with amazing handmade costumes. My brother on the other hand has always created some amazing stuff. This picture above is an Edward Scissorhands costume that he made when he was in high school. Incidentally, a couple years ago I had a Pizzazz costume from Jem and the Holograms that I was super excited to wear, but I didn't because the green wig that came with it was just awful. Truly, truly, truly awful. So for this year I am thinking I will either find another nice green wig and go as Pizzazz or go as Wonder Woman. We'll see what happens.
 
What was Halloween like in your neighborhood as a kid?

I grew up in a suburb just south of Houston Texas, and Halloweens growing up were the best. There were kids everywhere. Costumes galore. There was just a magical energy in the air. My childhood Halloweens were during the mid 80's and early 90's, and it was such a different time back then. We all knew each other and got along for the most part. There was no texting or other electronic obsessions to deter us from just having fun. We were able to run amok at night with bags of candy. Some houses would convert their garages into haunted houses. It was just a really exciting time. The excitement is still there of course, but it certainly has shifted. When I was married, my ex husband and I lived in a neighborhood that contained some of that spirit, lots of kids and families walking around. Decorations all over the place. Times may have changed, but the spirit hasn't gone anywhere.

MissM Halloween 3
"A picture of me and my best friend celebrating his birthday/Halloween. This was the year I was supposed to go as Pizzazz."
What do you do to celebrate these days?

Celebrating today is still so much fun. My best friend's birthday is on Halloween, so we always do something fun. Usually we will go to a block party where the adults dress up and we'll visit some local bars. I don't drink or party, but I love being a part of a festive spirit. My aunt also has a Halloween party every year that I go to as well. We will go and celebrate with yummy food and family. It's always a great deal of fun and something I look forward to every year.

Do you have any yearly rituals?

I do have some rituals. For a number of years I spent Halloween at home ordering a pizza and playing Final Fantasy IV, every Halloween. This was before my aunt had her annual party. There are certain candy items I have to buy. I love PayDays and Sweetarts, so I usually get some sort of Halloween themed bag of candy. I also pull out cute Halloween t-shirts and wear some fun Halloween jewelry. I do not really listen to Halloween music, though Brian from Pop Pop! It's Trash Culture sent me a Bollywood horror movie soundtrack last year that will get played some more this year. I do try to watch some horror movies. The Halloween film series gets heavy rotation this time of year as does other great scary movies I enjoy. I also try to catch up on new movies that I have never seen before. There is one thing I do not do though during Halloween, and that is Haunted Houses. I am terrified of them and barring the garage haunted houses from my youth, I have never been to an official super scary Haunted House. I just am too scared.

MissM Halloween 4
"Me with my aunt at her house for her annual Halloween party. There were other people there!"

What do you think it is about Halloween that keeps it in our hearts as we get older? 

I think Halloween is still in our hearts as adults because some of us value the traditions of holidays and want to keep that magic alive. I am 32 and I still enjoy the holidays so much. They are exciting and a great way to make memories with family and friends. Halloween is truly special for me though because it is not only the kick off to the holiday season, but it is a holiday that contains elements of some of my favorite things. I love candy and scary movies. Costumes are always fun. And in the past number of years or so, the marketing campaign for toys and other Halloween merchandise has just exploded. I love toys and other cute pop culture items that celebrate holidays, so for a dorkette like me, this stuff is just pure candy corn catnip!

Inside the Spooksters' Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was Jawbreakers. I've never liked those.

My favorite thing to get was anything sweet and sour or sweet and savory. Like Sweetarts, Nerds, or PayDays.

That about wraps it up. Where can people find you online?

I'd just like to add again my thanks for wanting me to be a part of this. I am honored to have answered these questions. And if anyone would like to have some fun dorky talk with me, they can follow me on Twitter or follow me on Instagram. Happy Halloween!

Before you head off to your next house, swing by Halloween Mixes.
They're posting a themed mix album every day of the month!

And of course, check out all the other folks participating in the Countdown to Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment