Nov 1, 2014

Monthly Movie Recap - October 2014

Well, as you might imagine, I watched some horror flicks in October. Although it's not much different than my past few months of watching history, I do try to cram in a few extra and some favorites.

If you're already in a funk because October has left us, just remember: It's only a month until Creepmas! If you joined in the Countdown to Halloween blog-o-thon, be sure to keep your internet dial tuned to Creepmas.com, which will be updating soon.

I don't know if it's because I'm coming off six more or less joyless Children of the Corn movies but I thought this was kinda fun! Despite how stupid it could be, it was still way more entertaining than any Corn movies I sat through. I was a little let down by the ending because there was no final "gotcha" scare.

Cool: Warwick Davis is fun to watch; A few inventive kills
Lame: How much time did we need with the guy in the pawn shop? Why introduce an amulet that's sort of the Lep's kryptonite and not use it at the end to kill him?
Rating: 5/10


Before seeing this, I'd only heard jokes about the series going to space. If you haven't seen it, watch the above trailer. If you ever wanted a movie like Aliens but with a Leprechaun, shoestring budget, and effects that look like they came out of a mid-90s screen saver, you have arrived! Where 3 was guilty pleasure fun, this one is "so bad, it's good" fun.

Cool: The only thing that's good about this one is how bad it is
Lame: After this one, I'm convinced the series is an anthology because there's very little continuity from movie to movie. Did I mention how bad the effects are?
Rating: 5/10


Somehow, this one has the highest rating of the series on Rotten Tomatoes: 33%. As a white guy, I was finding this uncomfortable to watch. I've seen Blaxploitation before, this is more like Blaxploitation parody, just not very funny. I'm guessing there was just as much weed smoking behind the camera as in front of it.

Cool: The only thing mildly entertaining is the Leprechaun's rap video at the end and even that is really bad
Lame: I can't recall another horror movie I've seen recently where I've wanted the main characters to die
Rating: 3/10

Leprechaun: Back 2 The Hood (2003)
A little better than the first visit to "Tha Hood" but not much.

Rating: 4/10

This is Where I Leave You (2014)
I thought it was going to be just another one of those "family comes together after someone dies" movies. Turns out, it was really good. Everyone had great performances and there's a good amount of comedy throughout.

Rating: 8/10


Bloody Bloody Bible Camp (2012)
Does a good job of emulating a 70s/80s slasher. There's plenty of kills but they're at the start and end of the movie. My biggest complaint is that it never seems to follow any of the standard "rules" of a slasher. The final girl could have been any character, there's nothing redeemable in any of them. And the killer's identity seems to be shoehorned in. Ultimately it's a decent goofy horror flick.

Cool: It says something about the movie when I say that Ron Jeremy as Jesus had one of the best performances in the movie; Gore effects were decent
Lame: It's got all the ingredients you'd want, they're just not in the right amounts
Rating: 4/10

*Hocus Pocus (1993)
I only discovered this a couple years ago but it immediately became an October staple. Plus, a fair amount of exterior shooting was done in and around the Salem area. See yesterday's Hocus Pocus-centric post!

Rating: 8/10


Vicious Lips (1986)
Couldn't find a trailer for this so here's the poster. You'd think an R-rated 80s movie with an all girl band in a sci-fi setting would be mind blowingly awesome. I have never been so disappointed in the promise of a poster. The girls have to steal a ship (which happens to hold a killer monster) to get across the galaxy to a gig. The ship crashes and the monster gets loose. At the end, you find out you just wasted 90 minutes watching it.

Cool: Some of the hair rock songs are pretty catchy
Lame: Just about the rest of the movie
Rating: 4/10

Bad Taste (1987)
This is one of those titles I've seen the cover for a million times but never actually watched. It definitely has a low budget 80s charm to it but overall the pacing up to the finale was too slow. I can see why it's a cult film but I won't be revisiting it.

Rating: 5/10

Hack O'Lantern (1988) aka Halloween Night
I wanted to see this one based on the title because I imagined it would be some type of mutant pumpkin that went on a killing spree. I need to make that movie. This one is about a grandfather that inducts one of his grandsons into a satanic cult. Just about everything in this movie is laughably bad: the acting, the plot, you name it.

Rating: 2/10, strong contender for worst movie of the year! Including that one I had to turn off halfway through.

*The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
I rewatched this the day after I got to meet Victoria Price. I felt it necessary to watch something of his and I just got the BluRay Vol 1 collection. It's not one of my top Price films even though he's fun to watch in it and the set design is fantastic.

Rating: 6/10

Street Trash (1987)
Weird, weird horror comedy with lots of melting hobos. I still feel like I need a shower from watching it.

Rating: 5/10


Housebound (2014)
Recommended to me by Chad Savage and well worth it! I can't really say much about it without giving away the good bits because they worked some great twists into it. Seek it out!

Rating: 8/10


Life After Beth (2014)
Zach's girlfriend dies and then mysteriously shows up at her parents' house a couple days later, seemingly fine. But is she? It's a little bit Fido and a little bit Warm Bodies and I thought it was a great zom rom com.

Cool: Great comedic cast; Fresh take on zombies
Lame: Dude, I know she's your girlfriend but stop and think about it for a second...
Rating: 8/10


Wicked Wicked (1973)
The only reason I sought this one is is for its gimmick: DuoVision! Most of the movie is presented in split screen. The beginning was interesting, the left side followed the killer and the right his victim. Unfortunately, the script starts to feel like a daytime soap after awhile as the house dick tracks down the murderer that we know the identity of. Although once they do catch up to him at the end, it's a little twisted and there's some morbid humor that feels out of place. It's not horrible, it's just not very engaging but it's probably the only film ever presented this way.

Rating: 4/10

*Trick R Treat (2009)
I can't believe it's been 5 years for this classic already! Love, love, LOVE this movie. 'Nuff said.

Month Total
 New: 13  Rewatch: 3

Year To-Date Final Total 
New: 92 (+1 incomplete)  Rewatch: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment