Oct 4, 2015

Halloween Web - Chris Tanski


 
For the people that may not know you, tell us a little about yourself.

I am the co- host of the (title pending) Movie Podcast with Tank and Fogs. It's not your normal movie review show. We try and step out of the box with our various segments and lists. My most proudest thing is I am an employee of the horror movie t-shirt company Fright-Rags, we make great kick ass shirts of some of your favorite horror films. I am sometimes part of the creative process and seeing a bunch of my ideas come to fruition is just the best. We just released an amazing line of Halloween 2 and 3 shirts and some other holiday goodies are on the horizon.

What was Halloween like in your neighborhood as a kid? 

Halloween in Rochester, New York back in the 80’s was a Mecca of candy and trick or treaters. Streets were filled and you always had a ton of kids coming to your door.  It saddens me now when various neighborhoods I have lived in aren’t as prolific in these happening. Back then it was a great time to be a kid in love with Halloween. Halloween was a time for my Dad to gradually introduce me to the world of horror and all its greatness.  I was probably way too young to be seeing some of these but that is neither here nor there.

Do you have a particularly fond/funny/scary Halloween memory?

Back in the 80’s and 90’s my city didn’t really have big Halloween stores like Spirit or Party City. We had to go to like a CVS, Rite Aid or Woolworth’s for all our Halloween needs. I kind of miss that because it gave me these old small towns feel that I would see in a Halloween movie. One memory I have was a bad one, I was grounded for Halloween and could not go out trick or treating. I was going to be Gizmo that year so I just wore it to hand out candy.

Any favorite costumes from Halloweens past?

I wore many a Ben Cooper and Collegeville costume in my day but some of my favorites were in my adult days. I was Norm Macdonald as Burt Reynolds from SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy sketch. I was also Macgruber from SNL. I am sensing a theme here. One of my favs as a kid was my parents and I all dressed like Meatloaf’s character of Eddie from the Rocky Horror Picture show.


What do you do to celebrate now, out in the real world?

These days when I take my kids trick or treating, I try and research great neighborhoods for it and find friends and family I know and we head out there because my street is dead to the world when it comes to trick ofr treating.

Do you have any yearly rituals?

When it comes to favorite yearly rituals one thing I try and do is watch 31 horror films in 31 days. I have done it maybe 3 or 4 times in the last five years and have accomplished it each time. It is harder to do now being so busy so I try and squeeze some classics by the 31st. I also have a 14 year old son who I am sharing the experience with much like my dad did with me. I also try and listen to the old 70’s and 80’s Halloween sound effects and music vinyl records when I get a chance.

What do you think it is about Halloween that keeps it in our hearts as we get older?

The kids help keep it in my heart but I think the main thing is nostalgia. Trick or treating was so much fun back then and we want to try and recreate that feeling as best as possible. We do that by having Halloween parties and going to horror movie screenings at our local theaters. Haunted (insert thing here) are a lot of fun. The fun and nostalgia are still there you just need to seek it out sometimes or create your own memories.

Inside the Spookster's Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was the twist tied plastic bag of pennies or anything dental related. Once in a while you’d get a mini bible telling what kind of heathen you were but that wasn’t often.

My favorite thing to get was obviously the king size candy bars. That was the house you always loved going to. The houses who had had enough of giving out and they just dumped their bowls into your bag.


Thanks for joining the festivities this year! Where can people find you online?

P0lish Phen0m (FYI the Ohs are zeroes)  on Instagram and Twitter.
The (title pending) Movie Podcast with Tank and Fogs is on Buzzsprout, iTunes and Stitcher. A few years ago we did a great top 50 horror movie list so check that out.
And Fright Rags for all your horror movie t-shirt needs.

Before you run off to check out all the Cryptkeepers at Countdown to Halloween, here's today's Trick or Treat mix: Spirits, Be Gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment