Mar 1, 2016

Monthly Movie Recap - February 2016

Oscars, schmoscars! It's a rare occurrence when I actually see something up for Best Picture. It's not unusual for genre films to get their wins in technical categories but even I was shocked to see Mad Max sweep the awards!



Turbo Kid (2015, Netflix)
Remember all those 80s movies you loved as a kid? This is just like that but with a whole lot more gore. It's more splatstick than horrific which just adds to the rad vibe of this post apocalyptic adventure.

Cool: Always fun to see Michael Ironside hamming it up
Lame: It's almost too bad it's so violent because it would be an awesome movie for kids

Rating: 8/10


Princess Mononoke (1997)
This is only my second Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki movie and I really need to watch more of them! There's just something about them that's truly magical. The story here is amazing and really requires your attention to keep track of the factions and their motivations. This ain't no Totoro.

Cool: Almost none of the characters are purely good or evil. I really like the mythology going on.
Lame: Humans suck

Rating: 8/10


Deadpool (2016)
Will this be the best superhero plot you see this year? Probably not, but it's told interestingly (Tarantino-style). Will it be the most laugh-out-loud funny superhero movie this year? Absolutely! Assuming you enjoy dick jokes and gratuitous violence.

Cool: Colossus finally gets some action! Great chemistry between the leads.

Rating: 8/10

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films (2014, Netflix)
Before watching this, I only really knew Cannon by reputation. I'd seen a few here and there but they weren't really well known to me. Even if you don't know who they are, this is totally worth a watch if you're a fan of B-movies and/or exploitation! I love docs like this because they always bring up movies that I haven't seen but should, like Lifeforce.

Rating: 7/10

Just ignore the Howdy Doody stuff, this is the only trailer I could find

Crazy Mama (1975)
After catching the trailer in a compilation video of old trailers, I had to check this out. I mean, "young" Cloris Leachman? I'm in! It wasn't until after watching that I realized  it was produced by Roger Corman's wife. It's a road trip/crime spree movie but not terribly exciting. I guess for a low budget 70s movie, it's not bad and a little fun.

Cool: Great soundtrack. Familiar faces in the cast.
Lame: I wasn't ever bored but it just didn't thrill me

Rating: 5/10
 
Month Total
 New: 5  Rewatch: 0

Year Total
 New: 12  Rewatch: 1

3 comments:

  1. I really want to watch Turbokid and that Canon Films documentary. Glad to hear more good things about each!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I need to watch Turbokid I have been looking forward to that one! And the Canon doc was so fun to watch!!

    ReplyDelete