Nov 30, 2017

Monthly Movie Recap - November 2017


Posting this a day early because December begins the 13 Days of Creepmas! Not a whole lot of movie watching last month but I suspect some of you saw at least one, if not two, of the flicks I took in.

I heard someone call this Asgardians of the Galaxy and that about sums it up perfectly! You've got your classic rock plus plenty of humor and action. Quite different from previous Thor movies but in the best way possible. If you're a comic fan and don't have a dopey grin on your face during the opening fight, you should probably walk out.

Cool: Limiting myself to a few choice picks: Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie, Korg (and Miek's sweet moves), the Thor/Hulk bromance, the synth score.
Lame: The Warriors Three get shafted. They need to figure out what to do with Loki, I prefer him when he's menacing.

Rating: 8/10

Is it high cinema? No. Is it a fun popcorn movie that you shouldn't over analyze? Yes! Maybe it helps that I went in with low expectations but I had a good time with this. I say give it a chance if you're interested.

Cool: Flash was fun!
Lame: Some parts are like video game cutscenes, but I guess that's just Snyder. I can't remember how many shots I saw of upskirt/Wonder-butt. She deserves much better than that! Also, didn't need to see the Bat- or Super-bulges. My biggest gripe with this movie? Flash's horrible costume.

Rating: 6/10

Now Playing Podcast is doing the Hellraiser series as part of their Fall 2017 donation drive. Since I never got beyond the third one, I decided to start at the beginning. Yes, I'm going to make myself watch the entire series, for better or worse. I know we all know at least the basic premise of the movies but I wanted to post the trailers because sometimes it's fun to go back and watch trailers for movies you know.


*Hellraiser (1987, Netflix & Amazon)
Yep, still as freaky and creepy as I remember it being! Some of the effects work doesn't hold up well after 30 years but the Cenobites and Frank's skin suit are still amazing.

Rating: 6/10


*Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (1988, Netflix & Amazon)
Like any good horror series, you want to know more about the main baddie. Watching Hellbound is like opening the box: you get what you want but it's definitely not in the way you hoped. This is a good example of "typical 80s horror" but not a great sequel. I couldn't help laughing every time the doctor Cenobite/monster thing came on screen.

Rating: 3/10

I'm starting to develop a taste for horror involving cell phones/social media. It's definitely not that any of the movies have been good, I'm just curious how they go about creating a story around modern tech. This one was a neat idea but like the actors, it does the minimum to get by. This has no business being rated R, the only way I knew characters were killed is that they stopped appearing in the movie.

Cool: There are a couple of genuinely creepy moments. I really like Mr Bedeviled, I think with a better movie, he could become a horror icon.
Lame: The kills mainly happen off screen.

Rating: 4/10

Month Total
 New: 3  Rewatch: 2

Year Total
 New: 56  Rewatch:7

No comments:

Post a Comment