Mar 1, 2018

Monthly Movie Recap - February 2018


I never feel like I get enough movies in for February because it's so short. Did you catch anything cool this month? Let me know in the comments!


Galaxina (1980, Amazon)
This movie should have been a lot more fun. It's (sort of) a comedy that pokes fun at 70s sci-fi and stars Playmate Dorothy Stratten. Unfortunately, they ran into some shooting problems and couldn't film all the scenes they wanted. Because of this, there's a bit to slog through to get to the entertaining bits.

The Final Fun-tier: The best part for me is when they chase the bad guy to a Western planet and you get a Star Wars cantina thing but in an Old West saloon. There's a cameo of something that looks suspiciously like the '66 Batmobile. Might be the only movie to use the term "space honky."

Rating: 4/10, the hard to watch parts are strong with this one

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018, Netflix)
Great effects but I think I would have been a little let down if I saw it in a theater. I think it's a good addition to the Cloverfield mythos but really probably could have been trimmed down to an hour or less to get the story across.

Deaj Vu? If you even sort of like this and have yet to see Event Horizon, do yourself a favor and track it down.

Rating: 5/10


Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009, Amazon)
I cannot believe this didn't get any Razzie nominations. The action is decent but some of the wire-fu is not. You know how in good movies wire-fu can look cool even though it's crazy? This does not have that. Chris Klein turns in the best Worst Keanu impression ever.

Insert Coin to Continue? Hell. No. Watch the original Street Fighter, watch a Street Fighter anime or play one of the games. Anything has to be better.

Rating: 2/10

Black Panther (2018)
It blew me away and disappointed me a little at the same time. The mix of African culture, sci-fi tech, and mysticism is an amazing blend that makes for something really unique in the MCU. I think the CGI-ness of the suits made the final fight more like a game cut scene and I just wanted to get back to the above ground battle. But props to Killmonger for being a well written (and acted!) villain.

T'Challa's Angels: In a movie titled Black Panther I should be seriously invested in the title character but I was really more into Okoye, the Dora Milaje, and Shuri. When they're doing their thing, they are owning the screen!

Rating: 8/10

Month Total
New: 4  Rewatch: 0
 
Year Total
New: 10   Rewatch: 2

2 comments:

  1. I have been having trouble finishing The Cloverfield Paradox I have to be more than half way maybe someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really think it could have been shorter. It's an okay movie but never got to the next level.

    ReplyDelete